Monday, March 28, 2011

2KCBWDAY1...A Tale of Two Yarns



Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

So I have decided to take part in the 2nd annual Knitting/Crochet Blog week.   Basically a group of bloggers will blog about the same topic each and everyday to not only help attract new readers to their blogs but for me at least, it is to help MAKE me get into the groove of blogging everyday.   I really hate that I have left this fall by the wayside.  

I have been thinking all day what my fave and least fave yarns are and really it took no time for me to visualize them in my mind.   First up....

It caught my eye last year at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival.  It is a lovely skein of  yarn from Creatively Dyed Yarn of 100% superwash  merino. 
Obviously what caught my eye was the breathtaking color of this skein.   This picture just does not do it justice.   One of my friends said it best that day,  she said its like watermelon on acid and that's still exactly how I think of it.   I still have not brought myself to ball this lovely skein up and actually make something with it.  I'm still searching for the perfect project. 

My second one is another that I snagged at the sheep & wool show.  My first show to be exact.   It was about 4 or 5 years ago.  Ryan took me, it was before I had met my knitting group and really didn't have any knitting friends.  It was even before Ravelry!   I love this yarn but I hate it too.  My friends think I'm nuts. 
It is from Brooks Farm and it is their Primero 100% kid mohair.

Again it is beautiful yarn. I still enjoy getting it out of its bin and petting it.   I even just recently caked it up and intended to use it for my Bakerfield. That is where we get to the part I can't stand...it sheds.  Really bad.  I can't stand it.   It tickles my nose, my eyes, my entire face.  Then it feels like its in my mouth and getting stuck in my throat. I'm very upset about it because it is lovely.   At the time  I purchased this I was a very inexperienced in my yarn buying...at that point I shopped for yarn soley at Walmart or A.C. Moore (not that there is anything wrong with that)  I was just unaware at the time that of course kid mohair is going to shed...alot. 

So there you have it.   Wonder what lovelies I shall find in a few short weeks at MDS&W???  I can't wait to find out!!!

1 comment: